0005aphoto (3K) Martin Family History and Ancestry


John Augustine Elliott Linton

Male 1769 - 1822  (53 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name John Augustine Elliott Linton 
    Born 5 Jan 1769  Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 2 Dec 1822  Dumfries, Prince William, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Linton Family Cemetery, Bristow, Prince William, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I5486  Martin Family
    Last Modified 10 Sep 2019 

    Father John Linton,   b. 1730,   d. 31 Dec 1775, Dumfries, Prince William, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 45 years) 
    Mother Elizabeth Ellicott 
    Married 2 Jul 1752 
    Family ID F1660  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Sarah Tyler,   b. 1763,   d. 19 Aug 1835, Prince William County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years) 
    Married 22 Mar 1795 
    +1. John Tyler Linton,   b. 4 Jan 1796, Dumfries, Prince William, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 9 Sep 1821, Prince William County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 25 years)
     2. Elizabeth Elliott Linton,   b. 21 Dec 1798,   d. 27 May 1802  (Age 3 years)
    Family ID F1661  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 5 Jan 1769 - Virginia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 2 Dec 1822 - Dumfries, Prince William, Virginia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Linton Family Cemetery, Bristow, Prince William, Virginia Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Notes 
    • Local School Rooted in 1700's Linton family plants the seed
      by Suzanne B Curran
      PWCGS President

      Nestled on the banks of Broad Run lies a tract of land where schooling has been a tradition for nearly 300 years. The Linton Hall School, run by the Benedictine Sisters of Bristow, VA, continues to prepare its students for the challenges of life, following a long tradition established by an heir of the founding father, John August Elliot Linton.

      The Linton family and Prince William County have been inextricably connected since the early 1760s. The Lintons' left their mark from present day Dumfries, to Woodbridge, to Bristow.

      Sir Walter de Lyton was a follower of King Charles I of England. Sir Walter and other nobles were called "Cavaliers." When King Charles was defeated, the Cavaliers went into exile in Scotland. Many of these nobles, though safe and comfortable in Scotland, continued to yearn for their homes in England.

      A few of the Cavaliers decided to come to America and reproduce the English court life for which they longed. They sailed from Scotland, bringing brick to build their mansions, and furniture with which to furnish those mansions.

      Brothers William and Moses Linton, were the great-great-grandsons of Sir Waler de Lynton. They, and the rest of the nobles, sailed up the Potomac to what is near modern Dumfries.

      Moses Linton patented land in Prince William County including a large tract on the north side of Broad Run. He had another piece of land on the Morumscre Creek near present day Woodbridge. Here is where Moses built his mansion.

      John August Elliot Liniton, Moses' grandon, married Sara Tyler (daughter of President John Tyler), and they had a son, John Tyler, and a daughter, Elizabeth Elliot. This family purchased an additional 1,000 acres, added them to the 740 acres on Broad Run, and named it "Lintonsford." Daughter Elizabeth died at the age of 12, and the mansion they built stood at Lintonsford until it was destroyed by fire just before the Civil War.

      John Tyler Linton, only son and heir of John Augustine Elliot Linton, earned a degree in law (now an honored document in the Linton Hall Museum) from Dickinsen College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He then married Cecilia Graham. At the age of 26, John Tyler died, just four months before the birth of his daughter, Sarah Elliot, on January 4, 1822.

      Mr. Campbell Graham, uncle to Sarah, was appointed her guardian. In that capacity he decided to send her to Visitation Sisters Convent Boarding School in Georgetown. As a result of those years with the sisters, Sara decided to enter the convent. She was received on October 2, 1844, and was given the name Sister Mary Baptista.

      Before her death on October 25, 1901, Sister Mary Baptista divided Lintonsford into two parts. One tract was turned over to the Benedictine Fathers and a school for poor boys erected; the Benedictine Sisters were given the remaining 500 acres for a school for poor girls. Thus the schooling tradition was born at Lintonsford.

      St. Joseph's Institute for boys opened in 1894 and St. Anne's school began accepting girls in the autumn of 1897. St. Edith's Academy, a boarding school for girls, was formed shortly after that and in 1911 became affiliated with Catholic University of America. St. Edith's stayed open until 1922. With the closing of St. Edith's Academy, the decision was made to open Linton Hall Military Academy for boys, ages six to 15. St. Josephs' Institute was closed and Linton Hall Military Academy became the only school on the grounds.

      The Academy trained young men for 67 years, until the end of the 1989 school year. In the autumn of 1989, the present-day kindergarten-through-eighth-grade school opened its doors.

      The Linton biological family tree may no longer grow at Linton Hall but their contribution to Prince William County continues. Every year at graduation, new saplings spring from its fertile ground as graduates burst forth with boundless energy and a willingness to face the world. They are filled with tradition, knowledge, and excitement, absorbed from their years at Linton Hall; perhaps the same tradition, knowledge, and excitement that brought Moses Linton to America.

      If you believe you have a relative who attended the first institutions of learning at Lintonsford, you may call the archives at the Diocese of Richmond to determine if records still exist. Call 804-359-5661. (Bibliography: The Fruit of His Work by Sister M. Helen Johnston, O.S.B., B.S.)


      Linton Family Tree in Prince William County

      John August Elliot Linton: b Jan 5, 1769; d Dec 2, 1822; m Mar 22, 1795 to
      Sarah Tyler (daughter of President John Tyler)

      Elizabeth Elliot: b Dec 21, 1798; d May 27, 1812
      John Tyler: b Jan 4, 1796; d Sep 2, 1821; m Dec 21, 1820 to
      Ann Graham (no dates available)

    • John was the son of John Linton and Elizabeth (Elliott) Linton. John was married to Sarah (Tyler) Linton on 22 March 1795.

      Note: John Augustine Elliot Linton owned the Plantation then called Linton's Ford, which comprised the original tract of 740 acres which his grandfather had acquired and he had an additional 1,000 acres which he had purchased from Lord Arlington, who was his agent of the Crown. The entrance to Linton's Ford originally was represented by a few granite stones upon a tree-shaded plot enclosed by an iron fence situated in Prince William County on County Road 619, where the fork of the Dumfries Road crosses Broad Run, about two miles north of the village of Bristow and about five miles southwest of Manassas.
      >>> Journal of Historic Prince William, p.9 (Volume lll)

      (1798) October John Augustine Elliot Linton bought a lot and built a home in Dumfries.

      (1790) September he was elected Justice of Peace in Dumfries.

      (1802) 30 September he was elected sheriff of Prince William County.
      >>> Journal of Historic Prince William, p.9 (Volume lll)

      Bio by: Paula Harris

Home |  What's New |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates & Anniversaries |  Reports |  Sources

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2018, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.