0005aphoto (3K) Martin Family History and Ancestry




Matches 1 to 50 of 4,138

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 83» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 

Lila Elaine Hemnes

Dec. 5, 1911-July 28, 2010

Lila Elaine Hemnes, 98, of Roland, passed away Wednesday, July 28, 2010, at Mary Greeley Medical Center in Ames. A memorial service will be at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, July 31, at Salem Lutheran Church in Roland. Burial will be in Roland Cemetery.

Lila Hemnes was born Dec. 5, 1911, to William Henry and Ellen (Sorensen) Childers in Nevada. She married Clifford Jondall Dec. 29, 1930. He passed away Oct. 3, 1959. She worked for Donnelley?s as a clerk for 23 years. Lila married Fred Hemnes Feb. 2, 1961.

Lila was a member of Salem Lutheran Church in Roland, Women of the Moose, Academy of Friendship and the American Legion Auxiliary. She enjoyed gardening, flowers and birds, especially her parakeets.

She is survived by one son, Loren (Joyce) Jondall, of Milton, Wis.; three daughters, Barbara (Gary) Erickson, of Albert Lea, Minn., Dolores (James) McCarty, of Janesville, Wis., and Norma Sexe, of Story City; two brothers, Harold (Doris) Childers, of Story City, and LaVerne (Phyllis) Childers, of Roland; one sister, Bernita Rains, of Nevada; 18 grandchildren; 46 great-grandchildren; and 18 great-great grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Clifford; her husband, Fred, who died April 27, 1985; one daughter, Dorothy Sexe; an infant brother and brothers, Wilford Childers and Bud Childers; two sisters, Martha and Darlene; a granddaughter, Mary Elizabeth Jondall; and two grandsons, David Sexe and Rickie Jondall.

Soderstrum Funeral Home in Roland is assisting the family with arrangements.

Ames Tribune, Thursday, July 29, 2010

Childers, Lila Elaine (I301019)
Claude Jennings "Red" Singleton Sr., 70, husband of Shirley Coker Singleton, died Wednesday, June 14, 2006, at his home.

Born in Sumter, he was a son of the late Willie B. Singleton and the late Jennie L. Singleton. Mr. Singleton attended Lakewood Baptist Church and was a member of Wise Drive Baptist Church. He was a retired U.S. Air Force technical sergeant with 20 years of service and a Vietnam veteran. He was also a retired sales associate with Jet Vac Sanitary/Pipeline with more than 25 years of service. He was a member of the Midlands Retiree Association, the VFW, the DAV, and Claremont Masonic Lodge No. 64.

Surviving are his wife of Sumter; a son, Claude Jennings Singleton Jr.; a brother, William "Willie B" Singleton and wife, Jane; a granddaughter, Ciara Jade Singleton, all of Sumter; and a number of nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by a brother, Robert S. Singleton.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the Chapel of the Elmore Hill McCreight Funeral Home with the Rev. Joe Belcher officiating.

Burial will be in the Evergreen Memorial Park Cemetery with military honors.

Pallbearers will be Justin Hyatt, Herbert Hudson, Clint Coker, Sammy Coker, T. J. Coker and Dale Coker.

The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. today at the Elmore Hill McCreight Funeral Home and other times at the home.

Memorials may be made to Lakewood Baptist Church, 3140 Nazarene Church Road, Sumter, SC 29154.

Singleton, Claude Jennings (I300815)
Tasker Funeral Service

Isabel Hayes
(May 17, 1920 - June 16, 2012)
Isabel Hayes
Durham ? Isabel Hayes, 92, formerly of Durham died Saturday June 16, 2012 at Colonial Hill of Rochester.

Born in Dallas, Texas May 17, 1920 the daughter of E.E. Disz and Lillie (Morris) Disz who were deaf and lived in Durham where she was a member of the Community Church.

She was predeceased by her husband Fredrick Hayes and is survived by three children Joan E. Turner of Framingham, MA, Pamela Palmquist Bingham of Barrington and James Palmquist of Macungie, PA, 6 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. Her four siblings all predeceased her.

There are no local services. Burial will be in Mt. Hope Cemetery, Chicago, IL. Local arrangements are by the Tasker Funeral Home, Dover.

Please go to www.taskerfh.com to sign the on-line guest book.

Disz, Isabel (I305417)

LAKE WALES - Mrs. Constance B. Darty, age 80, died of respiratory failure October 9, 2007 in Trenton.

Born in DeLand, FL. on December 5, 1926, she was a resident of Lake Wales since 1947. She was a wife and mother who was devoted to her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and loved serving her family and her church.

Mrs. Darty was preceded in death by her husband, Glen Darty; and son-in-law Jim Chambers.

She is survived by Edith Chambers, Lake Wales, Doreen and George Reid, Gainesville, FL., Dave and Linda Darty, St. Augustine, FL., Walt and Stacy Darty, Keystone Heights, FL.; 10 grandchildren; 2 great grandchildren.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, October 13, 2007 at First Baptist Church, Lake Wales.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Haven Hospice of the Tri-Counties, 311 NE 9th St., Chiefland, FL., 32626.

Published in The Ledger on Oct. 12, 2007.

Bradley, Constance Ann (I15093)

Seton Hall University
University of Oregon


GERALD "JERRY" KUCERA Einan's at Sunset Gerald "Jerry" Kucera, 71, passed away at his longtime home in Richland, WA on March 30 after a hard fought battle with lung cancer.

Jerry was born in August, 1945 in Scappoose, Oregon. In high school, he loved his sports: football, basketball, and track. He is most remembered for track events in which he set school records in long jump and hurdles. His records held for more than 30 years and in 2000, he was inducted into his high school Hall of Fame. His accomplishments in track helped him to get an athletic scholarship to Seton Hall University in New Jersey. After an injury at Seton Hall, he transferred to the University of Oregon, where he finished out his college years with a degree in Math. Jerry began his career immediately after graduation, landing a job in Richland, WA with Computer Sciences Corp, a Hanford Contractor. After 7 years with CSC, he was hired by Washington Public Power Supply System (WPPSS) now known as Energy Northwest. Starting in Data Processing, his career advanced to Controller, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and ultimately Vice President. He retired in 2003 after 29 years at the public energy company.

Throughout the years, Jerry was involved in community service; starting with high school service clubs, Grid Kids football coach, United Way board member and officer and more recently served on the Tri-Cities Food Bank as Vice President. Jerry loved to play sports. He enjoyed playing rec. league basketball, slow pitch softball, snow skiing, water skiing, and golf. Retirement allowed him to truly enjoy playing golf with his buddies at Meadow Springs.

But the most important thing to Jerry was family. Jerry always had a love for the beach and in 2001; he fulfilled a lifelong dream of owning a vacation home on the Oregon coast. After retirement in 2003, he became a consultant for another new development on the Washington Coast called Seabrook. When at home in Richland, Jerry spent many happy hours in his yard and garden. Along with his wife Anita, they enjoyed many wonderful trips. Every February, they usually joined other family members in Hawaii.

Jerry is survived by his wife, Anita; daughter Kris Vedder (Michael) of Snoqualmie, WA; son Jim Kucera of Spokane, WA; and grandchildren Tanner , Phoebe and Bennett. He is also survived by his brother Ron Kucera (Diane) of Bend, OR; Roger Kucera (Linda) of Scappoose, OR; Tom Kucera (Linda) of Scappoose, OR; his sister Debbi Braun of Scappoose, OR; and many beloved nieces and nephews.

A Celebration of Life will be held on Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 4:00pm followed by a reception located at Events at Sunset, 915 ByPass Hwy in Richland. His family requests that in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to either the Tri-Cities Food Bank by calling 509-582-0411(tricitiesfoodbank.org) or Hospice at Chaplaincy, 2108 W. Entiat Kennewick, WA 99336. Express your thoughts and memories on our online Guestbook at www.einansatsunset.com

Published by Tri-City Herald on Apr. 2, 2017.

Kucera, Gerald James (I298588)
USA 83401  
Covel, Alpheus (I4021)
7 Kinard, Frank Mickelberry
Jackson Progress-Argus 4 Jan 1935
Mr. Frank Kinard Died in Texarkana Monday
Relatives and friends here were sorry to learn of the death of Mr. Frank Kinard 35 years of age, which occurred Monday at his home in Texarkana, Texas, following a two days illness.
Mr. Kinard was born and reared in Butts county, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Davis Kinard. For several years he was manager of the Colonial Hotel in Shreveport, La., and at the time of his death was manager of the Parker Hotel in Texarkana. He was well known in hotel circles and had many friends among the traveling public. He was connected with a leading family of Butts county.
He is survived by his wife and son, David Wilkins, and an aunt, Mrs. George Harkness, of Jackson, and several uncles.
Funeral services were held in Texarkana Tuesday, and interment was in Greenwood cemetery in Shreveport, La.

Kinard, Franklin Mickelberry (I794)
8 Mrs. Helene Richter passed away in Kerrville, Texas on July 8, 1952 after an illness of several years. She was laid to rest in the family plot in the Boerne cemetery, Thursday, July 10.

Mrs. Richter, daughter of the late Gus and Julia (nee Schumann) Bodemann, was born at Schumann, Comal County, Texas on September 29, 1867. She had attained the age of 86 years 9 months and 9 days.

After her marriage to Otto Richter in May 1892, the couple made their home in San Antonio. Mr. and Mrs. Richter bought a ranch on the Upper Cibolo road in 1900 where they made their home until a few years ago.

Mrs. Richter is survived by her husband, two daughters, Mrs. J.E. Sill (Erna) and Mrs. H. O. Weiss (Lydia). One daughter Hilda preceded her in death many years ago. Also surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Hermine Bertschler of Galveston; Mrs. Anna Rauch of Corpus Christi; 3 brothers, Adolph Bodemann, Lockhart; Otto Bodemann, Hew Braunfels and Alvin Bodemann of Corpus Christi; nine grandchildren, fourteen great grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

Funeral services were held from the Ebensberger Funeral Home with the Rev. Richard S. Talbot officiating. Pallbearers were her grandsons, Harold and William Sill, Edwin Schwope, Jack Carpenter, Irvin Meckel and James Rylander.

We join the many friends in extending deepest sympathy to the bereaved family of one who spent many years lending a full and useful life to her family and friends. 
Bodemann, Helene (I299041)
9 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I0547)
10 "Body of Burk Pacetti Arrived This Morning," St. Augustine (Florida) Record, Thursday, 22 November 1917, page 1. The body of the late Burk Pacetti arrived here this morning from Camp Wheeler, accompanied by the father and wife of the deceased. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at Mill Creek, but tonight the body will be at the home of Charles Pacetti in White City.
George Pacetti, father of the young man arrived at Camp Wheeler before the spark of life was extinguished, but the bereaved young wife arrived too late to see her husband again in life. The relatives were unaware of his illness, but became uneasy after waiting two weeks for a letter, then Mr. Pacetti, his father, decided to go to the camp and ascertain if anything had happened to his son. He found on his arrival that the young man was dying from pneumonia and telegraphed for Mrs. Burk Pacetti to come at once. She left immediately, but when she arrived her husband was dead.
L.F. Sanchez & Craig are the undertakers in charge and the body was taken to their place on the arrival of the train, but will be removed to the home of Charles Pacetti where it will remain until the funeral cortege leaves for Mill Creek where the interment will be made and the deceased will be laid beside his mother in the family burial plot.

Pacetti, Burke Maria Ruben (I300877)
11 "Earl J. Pacetti, 42, Dies After Long Illness," Leader-Enterprise (Homestead, Florida) Thursday, 9 February 1956.
Funeral services for Earl J. Pacetti, who died Friday after a long illness, were conducted at 10 a.m. Monday in First Methodist Church of Homestead by the Rev. Foster Holt. Interment was in Palm Cemetery.
Active pallbearers were Wilson Crosby, Eugene Saunders, Ralph Bevis, Donald Sullivan, Francis Fitzpatrick and Frank Marsh, and honorary pallbearers were Henry Brooker, Jr., Ronald Brooker, Henry Pridgen, John E. Davis, George Crim, and Eskew Smith.
Mr. Pacetti was born in Homestead [sic] 42 years ago, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Earl J. Pacetti. He attended Homestead schools and married a local girl, the former Miss Norma Rivers, who survives him. Except for his service in the Navy during World War II, he spent his life in Homestead, and was engaged in the wholesale and retail fish business until ill health forced his retirement some months ago. He was a member of First Methodist Church and Woodmen of the World.
Besides his wife, Mr. Pacetti is survived by two sons, Stanley and Jack; two grandchildren, on of whom was born the day after his death; and three sisters, Mrs. E.A. Buchanan, Mrs. Stanley Wittkop and Mrs. Sid Kendrick, all of Homestead.

Pacetti, Earl Joseph (I302619)
12 "Merriel Joseph Pacetti," The St. Augustine (Florida) Record, Sunday, 9 January 2011.

Merriel Joseph Pacetti, Sr., 73, of Hastings, Fla., died Jan. 6, 2011 at Roberts Care Center, Palatka, Fla. He was a member of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church. He was a retired heavy equipment operator for St. Johns County Road and Bridge. He was an avid hunter and outdoorsman.

Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday Craig Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation 5-8 p.m. Tuesday at Craig Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will be in Our Lady of Good Counsel Cemetery.

He was preceded in death by a daughter, Wanda Pacetti, and a sister, Pauline Howell.

He is survived by his wife of nearly 46 years, Joanne Reagan Pacetti; three daughters, Dora Griffis; Ocala, Fla., Barbara Curry, Hastings, and Libby Register, St. Augustine; step daughter, Tara Wilson, Ocala; three sons, M.J. Pacetti, St. Augustine, Dinky Pacetti, St. Augustine, and Buck Pacetti, Hastings; stepson, Ronald Wilson, Atlanta, Ga.; 21 grandchildren; numerous grandchildren; his aunt, Leona McQuaig; and mother in law. Anne Brown Metus.

Craig Funeral Home Crematory Memorial Park is in charge of the arrangements.

Pacetti, Merriel Joseph (I300932)
13 "Mrs. Brannan Dies." January, 1946.
Mrs. Iris Madgeline Brannan, died very suddenly at the family home in South Clifton the evening of January 4th, a cerebral hemorrhage being the cause of her untimely passing. Last rites were from the McMillan Chapel, conducted by Rev. Joseph Smith, on Monday, January 7, and interment was in the Clifton city cemetery. Mrs. Brannan was born in St. Augustine, Fla., and had lived in Arizona the past 27 years.

Pacetti, Iris Magdalena (I5676)
14 "One ship drives east and the other drives west by the same winds that blow. It's the set of the sails and not the gales that determines the way they go."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox

It is with great sadness that the family announces the passing of Kathy Nelson Murrell, 58, on Sunday, May 13, 2018. A mass of Christian burial will take place at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 15, 2018, at Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church. Father Matthew Higginbotham pastor of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Washington will be the celebrant. Burial will follow in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Kathy spent over 20 years employed by Elder Outreach as a medical biller. She enjoyed working with all of the residents, employees, and families.

Kathy is survived by her husband of 40 years, David W. Murrell; four children, daughter Allyson Oestriecher and husband Bo of Crowley; son Chad Murrell and wife Mary of Crowley; son Brandon Murrell and wife Kathryn of Rayne; daughter Meagan LeBlanc and husband Derek of Crowley; eight grandchildren, Madison Murrell; Ryleigh and Layne Oestriecher; Max, Kate, and Anna Murrell; Harper and Brooks LeBlanc; brother Wes Nelson and wife Suzanne of Sulphur; and numerous nieces and nephews.

She is preceded in death by her parents, Willie and Mary Nelson; her in-laws, Darold and Juanita Murrell; and sisters-in-law, Gale Nelson and Cindy Benoit.

Pallbearers will be Dewey Vidrine, R.J. Vidrine, Mike Smith, Jude Sittig, and nephews "Rock" Nelson and Garrett Shreve.

Nelson, Kathy (I18082)
15 "Roe" served in the Civil War for the Confederacy:
Cannon, James M. - Orr's Regiment, Company E, Private, age 20 when enlisted, Surrendered.  
Cannon, James Monroe (I7103)
16 "Susan Reed," The Monitor (Cedar Creek Lake, Texas), Wednesday 28 January 2009.
Funeral arrangements for Susan Reed, born Jan. 9, 1926, in Clarkdale, Ariz., to Iris and Walter Brannan, are under the direction of Eubank Cedar Creek Funeral Home in Mabank.
Reed died Jan. 21, 2009, at the Mabank Nursing Home.
She was predeceased in death by her husband Curtis Reed, parents, brother Ordell Brannan and sisters Julie Brannan, Mable Ebner and Lillian Betts.
She was the youngest of eight siblings and grew up in Clifton, Ariz. As an adult she lived in theThatcher, Ariz. area.
She married Curtis Reed Jan. 10, 1967, and later moved to Texas to live near her sister Lillian.
She loved embroidery and hand-sewing crafts and collecting stuffed animals and dolls. She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Survivors include her son Thomas Brannan, Texas; sisters Andrea Lewis and Myrtle Knepper, both of California; brother Walter Brannan, Arizona; 18 nieces and nephews; many great-and great-great nieces and nephews.

Brannan, Susan Ann (I301171)
17 "True yachtsman", Capt. Bill Astras, of M/Y Norwegian Queen dies
Posted on Oct 16, 2016 by Dorie Cox in Obituaries

By Dorie Cox

Long-time yacht Capt. William "Bill" Astras died Oct 4. He passed peacefully with his family by his side. He was 74.

From 8 in the morning until sundown each day, M/Y Norwegian Queen's colors flew under Capt. Astras' command. His son, Capt. Randy Astras, worked as engineer on the 164-foot Trinity with his father, a man he described as a "true yachtsman" who was a mentor to many in yachting.

"He had a great focus on giving the little guy a chance," his son said. "We had long-term crew pulled from shipyards and shops, not the typical types, and we trained everyone ourselves."

Born in New York, Capt. Astras' family moved to Florida when he was young. As an adult, he owned Boca Marine, a boat service and sales store in Boca Raton, Fla.

In 1988, a customer asked him to run his 54-foot sportfish boat. Capt. Astras accepted the job, which grew into 24 years of service. The owner's family later bought a 106-foot Westship, then Capt. Astras managed the build of its 132-foot Westship, and eventually he managed the build of the Trinity, all named M/Y Norwegian Queen.

"There was no varying from the straight line with Bill," said longtime friend and colleague, Capt. Ken Dobson, who also worked on a Westship. "He was a true professional, very attentive to details. Rules of the road, radio etiquette, call numbers, radio checks, letting mariners know his position; they don't do that anymore.

"When my flags were not up at 8 every morning, he would joke, "Ken, you must be asleep. Your flags aren't up?," Capt. Dobson said.

Even with his strong traditional background, Capt. Dobson said Capt. Astras was always up on new technology and what worked best onboard. But he especially liked the community and camaraderie of yachting.

"It was his favorite thing; he was open, friendly and talked to everyone from Europe to the Caribbean," Capt. Dobson said. "He treated everyone the same, whether you were cleaning the bilge or admiral of the coast guard."

Bosun Alla Botvina joined the crew for the build on the latest Norwegian Queen and worked with Capt. Astras before moving to yachts in the U.S. Pacific Northwest to be nearer to family.

"He could communicate with crew and he was well-rounded," Botvina said. "He understood every aspect to run the show and be a human being at the same time."

Botvina said Capt. Astras changed the course of her career.

"I was looking for the right boat to give my years to," she said. "It was easy to dedicate and commit to him. He said, 'See that? One day you will work on that, and I will teach you everything you need to know.' He shaped my career. He was the base of my entire knowledge of yachting."

For three years, Botvina volunteered for flag duty when she saw how important it was to Capt. Astras.

"I set my wrist alarm," she said. "They weren't raised at 8:01, but right at 8. When you care about someone, even if you don't care about the topic, you do it out of respect. He had pride in being the boat that does colors right, on time, impeccably."

Capt. Astras taught crew about traditional yachting through humor and stories with lessons, Botvina said. She laughed at his lesson on tender driving: "You only want to go as fast as you want to hit something."

Many people benefitted from Capt. Astras' knowledge, nautical and otherwise, said his son. Barry Zuccarini is someone who worked with him at Boca Marine in the 1970s, and occasionally was hired on as mate on Norwegian Queen.

"Before the time of GPS and other satellite navigation systems, captains from the Royal Palm Yacht Club and Boca Raton Hotel and Club would come into the store and ask for Bill's advice on how to cross the Gulf Stream," Zuccarini said. "Remember, it was in the 70s. He would pull a paper chart out in the store and help them plot the course, figuring the differential between the Gulf Stream speed and the speed of their boat.

"You had to respect him; it had a lot to do with his character," Zuccarini said. "You had to lift yourself to the next level when you were around him."

Shannon Wiley met Capt. Astras through his sons, David and Randy, when they all attended the Boy Scouts of America Sea Scouts program. Wiley said he worked summers on the yacht doing odd jobs and helping on fishing trips.

"You know the thickness of Chapman's?" Wiley asked, referring to the hefty 'Chapman Piloting Seamanship and Small Boat Handling' book. "He could have written double that in terms of the knowledge he held in his head and heart."

Wiley said the captain could read the lines of any vessel from afar and name the boat type.

"He was always close on the year, too," he said. "He just knew these things. He never ceased to amaze me."

Capt. Astras's help extended beyond yachting.

"He gave me good business advice and he knew smart decision making," Wiley said. "He was selfless and never wanted anything in return, no strings attached. He made me want to be a better person."

Friends said they were surprised to hear that Capt. Astras had died. Capt. Dobson said his friend had been retired but had been an observer for international game fishing tournaments. The two got in touch every week to talk about boats and kids. Bosun Botvina said she will miss Capt. Astras.

"I have never run across anyone that was as passionate," Botvina said. "I was hoping he would be there to see me when I get married."

Capt. Astras is survived by his wife of 47 years, Mary; sons David and Randy; and four grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests a donation in his name to the University of Florida Health Shands Kidney Transplant housing and gas fund, c/o Stephan J. Moore, 1600 Archer Road, Gainesville, Fla. 32610-0223. A celebration of his life will be held at a later date. For details, email Randy Astras at rastras@att.net.

Dorie Cox is editor of The Triton. Comments on this story are welcome below or at dorie@the-triton.com.

Astras, William James (I0560)
18 "Walter Brannan," Wednesday, 31 July 1974.

SAFFORD: Funeral services for Walter D. Brannan, 84, who passed away July 21 at his home on the Bowie Highway, were held Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Safford 1st Ward Chapel with Bishop's Counselor G. Wayne Mack officiating.

Music was by the Safford First Ward Relief Society Chorus directed by Roxanne Larsen and accompanied by organist Karen Mack. Invocation was given by Bishop Gordon Stowell, and the life story by Bishop Terry Jo Bingham. The sermon was given by Bishop W.R. Richardson, followed by the hymn, "Oh, My Father" and the benediction by Andrew Angle.

Burial was in Rest Haven Memorial Gardens with dedicatory prayer by Robert Montierth. Pallbearers were Tommy and Walter Brannan, Billy and Rudy Bettes [sic], Jerry Heath, Benney Knepper, Rodney Lewis, Mark Nacarati, Dennis Parsons and Gene Wasson. All arrangements were in charge of Roger E. David of Safford Funeral Home.

Brannan was born Nov. 9, 1889, on a farm in Orlando, Fla., where he was reared. He and his brothers and sisters had to earn their own spending money, so Walter found a source in catching rattlers which he caged and fed until a buyer came through the area paying according to the snake. He loved animals, and always had an assortment of squirrels, opossums, raccoons and skunks as pets.

In January of 1911, he was married to Iris Pacetti in Jacksonville, Fla. Weather conditions were detrimental to his health, so eight years later the family moved west by railroad settling in Phoenix in 1919. Shortly thereafter, they moved on to Prescott, where he found a more healthful climate and the family lived there for several years while he was employed by a railroad company. When employees went on strike, Brannan took his family to Utah, and then back to various Arizona locations, wherever he could find employment as a machinist.

In 1935, he moved to Santa Rita, New Mexico, for three years, then came to Clifton where he was employed by Phelps Dodge Corp. He helped organize the International Machines Union, and in May of this year was honored as that Union's oldest living member. He worked for 32 years as a machinist for Phelps Dodge before retiring at 65 and moving to Safford. He purchased property at Artesia where he lived until his death.

He had remarried, and he and his wife, Mary Amelia were sealed in the Mesa Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints July 9, 1959. During the 14 years he had lived in Artesia, he made many friends who will miss their friendly neighbor.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Amelia; two sons, Walter T. of Tucson, Tom of Anaheim, Calif.; six daughters, Mrs. R. Lewis, Santa Barbara, Calif., Mrs. B.F. Knepper, Anaheim; Mrs. Ethel Ebner and Mrs. Joe Naccarati, both of Morenci; Mrs. William Bettes [sic], Irvington [sic], Tex., and Mrs. Susan Reed, Millington, Tenn.; four sisters, Mrs. Mary Barry, Mesa, Mrs. Jonnie Henderson, Holmsted, Fla., Mrs. Susie Thurman and Mrs. Pearl Hansen, both of Orlando, Fla.; 22 grandchildren and 47 great-grandchildren. 
Brannan, Walter Dennis (I8001)
19 'Kenny' Smith
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2001

   Ken ''Kenny'' Smith, 37, died Wednesday Oct. 3, 2001.

   Mr. Smith was a son of Ernest L. and Almeda Simpson Smith of Winder. He was employed as a maintenance man for Harrison Poultry and was a member of First Baptist Church of Winder.

   Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Smith Funeral Home, Winder, with the Revs. John Talley and Robert Hoffman officiating. The body will be placed in the chapel at 1:30 p.m. Burial will be in Rose Hill Cemetery.

   Survivors, in addition to his parents, include a special friend, Tammy Morgan; a sister, Kim Phillips, Winder; a brother, Tim Smith, Auburn; and nieces and nephews.

   The family will receive friends from 2-4 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. today at the funeral home.

   Memorials may be made to Peachtree Christian Hospice, 3430 Duluth Park Lane, Duluth, GA 30096.

Athens Banner-Herald, Thursday, Oct. 4, 2001

This article published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Thursday, October 4, 2001. 
Smith, Kenneth Edward (I300738)
20 08-07-1992 Times Picayune
Batac - Marie Louise Fuselier Batac, a homemaker, died Wednesday at River Parishes Hospital in Destrehan. She was 84. Mrs. Batac was born in New Orleans and lived in Destrehan for 13 years. She was an employee of Schwegmann's for over 25 years. She was a longtime member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Metry VFW Post 6640. Survivors include a daughter, Anita Jeffrey; a brother, Don Fuselier; a sister, Eula Fournet; six grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren and six great-great-grandchildren. A Mass will be said today at 10 A. M. at Jacob Schoen and Son Inc., 3827 Canal St. Burial will be in Jefferson Memorial Gardens in St. Rose. 08-07-1992 Times Picayune 
Fuselier, Marie Louise (I295846)
21 1860 Federal Census
Occupation: Shingle Weaver

1880 Federal Census
Occupation: Mechanic  
Martin, Noble Edgar (I5692)
22 1860 Federal Census for Isabelle Township, Pierce County, Wisconsin

SurnameGiven NamePageTownship

Family F1663
23 1880 Federal Census
Occupation: Mechanic 
Martin, George Leapard (I1113)
24 1890 Washington, DC City Directory
Name: Thomas B Linton
Location 1: 1000 26th northwest
Year: 1890
City: District of Columbia
State: DC 
Linton, Thomas Berry (I4890)
25 1891 Washington, DC City Directory
Name: Thomas B Linton
Location 1: 1000 26th northwest
Occupation: engineer
Year: 1891
City: District of Columbia
State: DC 
Linton, Thomas Berry (I4890)
26 1902 Orleans Parish Birth Index
Volume 123, p 41

Source: Louisiana Archives
3851 Essen Lane
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125 
Latusa, Antonio (I300302)
27 1907-05-24; Columbus Daily Enquirer, Page: 6
Julius Kaufman Dies in Atlanta Well-Known Merchant Expires after Short Illness
News of the death of Mr. Julius Kaufman in Atlanta last night at 8:30 (?) o'clock was received in the city last night and caused profound sorrow among his friends in this city, his home. Mr. Kaufman had been ill of kidney trouble and for the last two months had been in an Atlanta sanitarium. /Mr. Kaufman was forty-eight years of age and is survived by his wife, a son, Sam Kaufman, and three daughters, Misses Blanche, Beatrice and Theresa. He is also survived by a sister, Miss Carry (Carrie) Kaufman. They have the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement. Mr. Kaufman was born in Geneva, Ga., but passed nearly his life in this city, where he was in business on upper Broad street a good many years. /The remains will reach the city this morning from Atlanta. The funeral arrangements have not been made as yet, but will be announced later.

1907-05-26; Columbus Daily Enquirer, Page 5, Mortuary Notice
Funeral Today -- The funeral of Mr. Julius Kaufman will take place from his late residence No 21 Tenth street, this afternoon at two o'clock, the services being conducted by Rabbi Marx of Atlanta, who came to Columbus for that purpose. /The pallbearers will be Messrs. L. S. Cohen, L. Loewenherz, L.H. Kaufman, A. Strauss, Max Banner, J.J. Kaufman, Dan Joseph and N. Nassbaum. Interment will be in Riverdale cemetery.

Kaufman, Julius (I305810)
28 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I304944)
29 2005 Glendale Train Crash

The 2005 Glendale train crash is the second deadliest incident in the history of Metrolink, the communter railroad in the Los Angeles , California, area. It was overtaken as the deadliest by the 2008 Chatsworth train colliusion.

On January 26, 2005, at 6:03 a.m. PST, southbound Metrolink commuter train #100 collided with a sport utility vehicle that had been abandoned on the tracks immediately south of the Chevy Chase Drive grade crossing and near a Costco retail store on the Glendale-Los Angeles boundary, in an industrial area, north of downtown Los Angeles. The train jackknifed and struck trains on either side of it - one a stationary Union Pacific freight train, and the other a northbound Metrolink train (#901) traveling in the opposite direction. The chain-reaction collisions resulted in the deaths of 11 people. Among the first responders to the accident were employees of the Costco store, adjacent to the accident site, who placed calls to 9-1-1 and climbed the bordering fence to aid the victims.

Juan Manuael Alvarez, who left his Jeep Cherokee Sport vehicle parked on the tracks, was arrested and charged with 11 counts of murder with "special circumstances". Authorities and Alvarez's legal defense team claimed Alvarez was planning to commit suicide, but changed his mind at the last minute. Alvarez was convicted in June 2008 of the eleven counts plus one count of arson, and though prosecutors sought a death sentence, was sentenced in August 2008 to 11 consecutive life sentences in prison with no possiblity of parole.

Fatalities in this accident were:

Manuel Alcala, 51, West Hills, Los Angeles
Julia Bennett, 44, Simi Valley
Alfonso Caballero, 62, Winnetka, Los Angeles
Elizabeth Hill, 62, Van Nuys, Los Angeles
Scott McKeown, 42, Moorpark
Thomas Ormiston, 58, Northridge, Los Angeles (conductor on #901)
William Parent, 53, Canoga Park, Los Angeles
Leonard Romero, 53, Rancho Cucamonga
Deputy James Tutino (Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office), 47, Simi Valley
Don Wiley, 58, Simi Valley

McKeown, Scott Latimer (I15064)
30 2nd lt. U.S. Army Air Corps, {0-1648098}, World War II-Lt. Procter died in the line of duty while serving with the 109th Combat Engineer, 34th Infantry Division during his WWII service.

He is the son of Mr. Gilbert & Mrs. Edythe S. Procter of Chicago, Illinois, and the husband of Mrs. Ruth Durrant of Chicago, and he enlisted with the Signal Corps {RA16070990} on 5-22-1942, and he had three years of college. He leaves one other sister, Miss Paula.

Awards: American Campaign Medal, European Campaign Medal with Two Battle Stars, WWII Victory Medal.

Find A Grave Memorial# 127301218

Procter, Gilbert Calef Jr (I306108)
31 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I297755)
32 Descendants of Elijah Smith Smith, Elijah (I7868)
33 Martin Cemetery, Randolph County, Georgia  Martin, Riley Truitt (I7838)
34 Angelica Singleton Van Buren, born Sarah Angelica Singleton (February 13, 1818 – December 29, 1877) was the daughter-in-law of the 8th United States President Martin Van Buren. She was married to the President's son, Abraham Van Buren. She assumed the post of First Lady because the president's wife had died 17 years earlier and he remained unwed throughout the rest of his life.

Sarah Angelica Singleton was born in Wedgefield, South Carolina, the daughter of Richard Singleton and his wife, Rebecca Travis Coles.

Raised in high society and related by marriage to Dolley Madison, Angelica brought an air of sophistication to her role as first lady. She married Abraham Van Buren on November 27, 1838, in Wedgefield. The couple took an extended trip through Europe and when they returned in 1839, she undertook the duties of White House hostess for the rest of her father-in-law's presidency. After Martin was defeated for re-election in 1841, Angelica and her husband lived at the Van Buren home of Lindenwald, in Kinderhook, NY, wintering at her family home in South Carolina. From 1848 until her death at age 59, she lived in New York City.
Singleton, Sarah Angelica (I0610)
35 Wikipedia entry Finlach (I0193)
36 Wikipedia entry Gilcomgan (I0134)
37 Wikipedia entry Gruoch (I0135)
38 Wikipedia entry Lulach (I0133)
39 Wikipedia entry Maelsnechtan (I2951)
40 at-one-ment, the conclusion

We held the door open for a miracle, but none came. At least not in the hoped-for form. That’s the thing with miracles, they don’t necessarily obey orders.

I meant to ask David if there was a significance to the director’s chair in the pathway to the front door. I don’t remember if it was there when I arrived in the afternoon yesterday. I do remember stepping around it on the way to my car at 11:30 last night. It seemed a little like the cup for Elijah. But who were we waiting for? Leila to come back and sit on it?

I last saw her last week, on Thursday. The day the miracle workers came. The day of anointments. On Friday she was supposed to go home, to begin hospice. I got a message from someone that she would be staying in the hospital through Monday. That she wanted some time to absorb what had happened during the healings. Especially that last one with the monk, where he’d wrapped her in the mantle of a modern saint, crossed her forehead, eyes, cheeks, throat, and heart with sacred oils, prayed over her for 35 minutes in four languages.

I heard she wanted things to be all set up and ready for her. That she needed to rest and didn’t want visitors. I called her home and left a message to let her know I was aware of the schedule and thinking of her. So I was surprised when the phone rang Saturday morning and it was her.

I was almost out the door, with the grandparents, and Scott and Jonah, all of us bundled up and ready to head out to Tilden Park to ride the Steam Train. Leila was talking slowly, as she has done now for weeks, what with all the narcotics and the exhaustion of illness. She informed me she’d come home because the insurance wouldn’t cover her hospital stay anymore. They don’t have a line item for rest and contemplation.

I told her I was glad she was home and that I had to go. That I would talk to her later. How many times I’ve said that in these last six weeks of rollercoastering in and out of hospitals, towards and away from the brink of death? Why did I need to be so many other places? There simply is never enough time, never enough “laters.”

Sunday morning I called and left another message. I wanted to get her blog passwords, so I could use a service that turns blogs into books, for the kids. A few minutes later, she called. But not necessarily because I had called. One of those crossed wires moments. She fumbled who she was calling at first. “Johnny?” — “Julie,” I reminded her.

The hospital bed wasn’t working right and they couldn’t get it fixed because they had to go off hospice in order for her to be able to get one more procedure. A catheter that would drain the fluid from her tumors, paracentesis. A procedure she’d been traveling to San Francisco to receive once a week, to relieve the pressure. She was angry, frustrated.

She’d felt so sick in the night, she was shaking, she told me. Her husband wouldn’t let her call 911. “I was ready to let go,” she said. Whatever I said back was clearly insufficient because next she shouted at me, “THAT’S A REALLY BIG DEAL!”

She and her husband were sleeping on the sofa bed in the meantime. The old sofa bed that she’d slipcovered, but they’d had to take the slipcover off to open it out. She wanted to know if I might help her get a new sofa bed. Would IKEA deliver?

At this point David got on the phone and asked me to please not go buy them a sofa. He’s familiar by now with my tendency to take Leila’s requests and run with them. The toilet paper, the moisturizer, the pajama pants. But I assured him I wasn’t going to buy them a sofa. He explained that 911 wasn’t an option anymore. “Unless she breaks a limb, I have all the medications she needs here.”

I knew other friends were going to visit her that day, so off I went again into the swirl of grandparent and toddler time. On Monday when I called, she was too tired to talk. Or was that Tuesday? Yes. I’d waited till the grandparents left. A flurry of emails that day confirmed that Leila’s MFA professor and friend had offered to edit and publish her novel and Leila accepted.

On Wednesday, I went over to the house. A woman with long red hair and hazel eyes answered the door, a friend of Leila’s from almost 30 years ago, college and her New York period. Eva had flown up from L.A. for the day. Leila was asleep. Eva was cleaning out the refrigerator. Together we made a big pot of spaghetti sauce for David while he napped (Leila keeps him up at night like a newborn.) We stood in the kitchen and looked out at Leila, her sleeping face framed in the pass-through window. Eva told me: When I first met Leila, I was so in love with her. She was just so beautiful, and so fabulous. I told her I thought we would be friends forever, that we would grow old together. She looked at me in that way, (Eva mimics, creating a distance with a wave of one hand, upper torso pulling backwards) ‘Don’t be so presumptuous,’ she told me. But now, it’s almost come true.

When it was time for her to go back to the airport, Eva stood next to the hospital bed and talked to still-sleeping Leila, said goodbye, cried. I couldn’t hear her over the exhaust fan from the stove, but I could tell by the shape of her back what the conversation was.

I could not, have not, did not talk to Leila while she seemed out of it. I watched others do it. But I just couldn’t. For the most part.

That afternoon, I held her hand. Her skin was so dry, so I put lotion on. Each time the cold dab from the bottle touched her skin, she startled, eyes wide. I reassured her. Telling her exactly what I was doing, the same way I used to narrate diaper changes and such to Jonah when he was a newborn.

She never actually acknowledged me that day. I’m not sure she recognized me. I could tell she knew who David was, and when her mother came, I heard her say, Mom. Several times she tried to get out of bed and I tried to explain to her that she couldn’t. But it seemed impossible to explain. Her mind didn’t know the limitations of her body anymore. Eventually she’d give in and lie back down.

I talked a lot to David that day. True things we’ve been thinking and feeling. (Later, when others, Joni, one of the nurses, claimed that she could hear everything, even when we thought she wasn’t with us, wasn’t comprehending, I was grateful for the conversations I’d had with others in her presence, because we’d said things to each other I’d never gotten a chance to say to her.)

The next day, yesterday, her condition had declined even more. I got the news in an email that afternoon, that she was more out of it, that her lungs were full of fluid. I’d just been in the process of trying to organize a sign-up sheet, for those of us who wanted to visit, to keep David company with Leila. I said I’d come at 5:30. I looked around the room, trying to figure out what to do next, what to do until 5:30. I ended up grabbing some food from the fridge, to cook dinner for David and I, and walking out the door right then. I called the nanny. “Please prepare Jonah, let him know I won’t be here when he gets home.”

I was unprepared for the sound of someone breathing through fluid. Rough, jagged, bubbling breaths. Her head would move, her mouth open wide, gulping at the air. Her eyes were slightly open, unfocused. Is she awake or asleep? I asked.

I sat down on the couch, and for the first time in her and David’s presence, I cried.

The plan for the evening was this: Joni, who’d been there all afternoon, would go home and feed her dog. David was going to go pick up the kids and take them out to dinner as soon as the nurse arrived at 5:30. The meal I’d brought to cook for David would now be for Joni. Joni would come back around 6:30, and Meg would be on her way over at 7.

These events occur: I put ointment on Leila’s hands. A special salve made from shea butter and tea tree oil, prepared by a neighbor. Joni leaves. I sit down next to Leila and meditate. We used to meditate together. Etie arrives right on schedule, David leaves.

Etie administers Leila’s medications over the next hour, by droppers: morphine, haldol, something to ease the rasping in her throat. I ask her if she thinks Leila is still with us. She says no. The body has shut down. Her eyes aren’t focusing. The only organ working now is her heart.

I tell Leila, “Honey, I’m going to make pork chops for Joni and I in your kitchen. I hope that’s okay.”

Etie sits with me in the kitchen while I cut up apples for applesauce. Four apples from my garden. I slice each one into small pieces, making a pile of cores and peel. Etie asks me questions about Leila while I chop. I realize I am cutting very slowly. “I think this is therapeutic,” I say. “Leila was a really great cook,” I inform her, experimenting with the past tense while rooting through the spice cabinet, looking for cardamom, ginger. “This meal is an homage.”

Etie asks if Leila has kids, if I have kids, tells me she has six, all grown, still back in New Zealand. “I got divorced and I needed to live in a different country from my husband,” she says in a thick accent. She asks where Leila’s kids are. I tell her. “In my culture,” she says, “the kids would be with her. Everyone would be gathered around her.”

Etie goes out to the living room and sits with Leila while I eat my meal. Blackened pork chops with applesauce, fried potatoes, and salad dressed in lemon juice and cumin. Etie studies the posterboards of family photos we’d displayed at the Healing Circle event, less than two weeks ago, now placed against the wall at the head of the hospital bed. “She was very beautiful,” she says, “and so young.”

Joni arrives and joins me at the kitchen table. She says Leila’s breath sounds different. Worse. I can’t hear it exactly. As much as possible I’ve tuned it out, mentally turned it into the sound of a machine, rhythmic.

We talk about whether or not Meg is going to come over. It’s just 7. Did she get Joni’s email? Did she know David wasn’t going to be here but we were?

Meg arrives. She immediately starts crying, assuming that my presence in the house means Leila is already gone.

She comes in and we all hug, and then we start to putter. Do you think we should open these cards, put them out around the room? Perhaps not. The kids may come after she passes, maybe they wouldn’t want to see all the cards around. Meg, the organizer, goes through the mail, sorting out bills from the rest of the pile. Joni and I explain to Meg that David is out with the kids.

We hear a noise. What was that noise? Again.

Leila, vocalizing. A sound. A long moaning sound.

Is she in pain? No, she’d just had morphine a little bit ago. The three of us gather near her head, Etie stands near Leila’s feet, but at a distance. This is it, she tells us. Leila’s eyes focus, staring into Joni’s. I place my hands gently on Leila’s head, as I have done so many times in the last few weeks, and the last two days. I lean close to her. Meg is standing behind Joni. The bubbling in Leila’s breathing is gone. Her breaths are slower, farther apart. The three of us are all talking, crying, praying. Leila, you are so beautiful. We love you. Everything is going to be okay. Everything is okay. You did good. You did so many good things in this world. We love you. It’s okay.

“She’s gone,” says Etie.

I try closing her eyes, like they do in the movies, but the lids pop right back up. Etie explains that it takes a while. We position her head and I hold her jaw and eyelids closed while Joni and Meg start cleaning up. Joni calls David. Meg gathers all the medical gear and supplies and moves them into the garage, to make the room more hospitable, if the kids decide they want to see her.

Etie leaves. “Tell David, he doesn’t have to pay me for tonight,” she says.

After a while, I trade places with Joni, finishing up the dishes while she holds Leila’s face. I clean out the freezer. Meals will be arriving soon. I put out dried apricots, pretzels, pine nuts, remembering that my grandmother, right before her death, had made a list of items that she’d wanted for her funeral, such as white roses and sand from Israel to be placed on the casket, and no one could figure out why she’d written “pistachios” until finally we realized she’d meant, for the guests.

Arrivals: Her mother, David, the kids.

I call a few people to give them the news. My friend tells me of washing her father’s body after he had passed. A Jewish ritual.

The hospice nurse arrives. She says, “In this situation, I usually offer to wash and dress the body, if you would like me to do that.”


I choose a long turquoise middle eastern caftan with gold embroidery, the one I think she may have worn to the Healing Circle, though none of us can recall for certain. I show it to David and his eyes light up. Yes.

Joni, the nurse — whose physical beauty, like the startling handsomeness of every doctor and nurse at the hospital, Leila would definitely have remarked upon and appreciated — and I respectfully wash and dress Leila, put a necklace on her, cross her hands and rest them on her belly, lay a blue and white flowered coverlet over her feet.

It’s such a simple thing, and why bother, except that is possibly the one thing I am the most grateful for. That we gave Leila’s body this small dignity. Her face, the struggle removed, looked so peaceful and young. She was almost smiling.

by Julie Feinstein Adams 
Abu-Saba, Leila Elias (I5702)
41 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I0055)
42 Wager Cemetery Koppenol, Howard Hershel (I0236)
43 Magnolia Park Cemetery, Warner Robins, Houston, Georgia Paul, Odell Carol (I5463)
44 Woodlawn Cemetery, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Florida

Fitzhugh, Norman Richard (I3001)
45 Woodlawn Cemetery, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Florida Linton, Bertha Atwell (I3112)
46 Bosque Bello Cemetery, Fernandina, Nassau, Florida Martin, George Leapard (I1113)
47 Alta Vista Cemetery Jennings, Robert Mansfield (I0488)
48 Centerville Baptist Church Cemetery Stafford, Joseph Sherrill (I7458)
49 Centerville Baptist Church Cemetery Stafford, Joseph Palmer (I7468)
50 Centerville Baptist Church Cemetery Reddy, Lois Jeanette (I7469)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 83» Next»

Home |  What's New |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates & Anniversaries |  Reports |  Sources

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2018, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.